The Historical Marker Project

    The John Philip Sousa Foundation Historical Marker Project involves the identification of concert sites throughout the United States and Canada where John Philip Sousa and his band performed.

    The Historical Marker is a handsome aluminum plaque, 12'' x 15'', suitable for indoor mounting. It is designed to be placed in locations such as an auditorium, gymnasium, or bandstand.  Each plaque is personalized with the place and date of the Sousa Band concert, the name of the donor, and the date of presentation. (See the replica below.) 

    It is helpful if the recipient can send a copy of clippings, programs, or other material that will establish the date of the concert.  A tax exempt donation of $225.00 may be given to The John Philip Sousa Foundation which covers all costs including shipping.

    For additional information, please contact:

Douglas Harter (Historical Marker Chairman)
9818 West State Road
Delphos, Ohio 45833

Phone: 419-692-1321 • Email: harter3@hotmail.com.


This historical marker is placed as a
memorial to

JOHN PHILIP SOUSA


WHO CONDUCTED SOUSA BAND CONCERTS HERE

November 12, 1913
December 5, 1924

The American Concert Band
Anywhere, USA
John Public, Managing Director



with the cooperation of
THE JOHN PHILIP SOUSA FOUNDATION

Col John R. Bourgeois, President         Dr. Al G. Wright, Chairman of the Board


The following are among the concert venues and locations which have installed Historical Markers:

Center fo the Arts
Valparaiso University
Valparaiso, Indiana

Columbia Concert Band
Columbia, South Carolina

Purdue University
West Lafayette, Indiana

Lee University
Cleveland, Tennessee

Quincy Park Band
Quincy, Illinois

Richmond City Auditorium
Virginia Commonwealth University
Richmond, Virginia

Texas Tech University
Lubbock, Texas

The City of Terre Haute
Terre Haute, Indiana

University of Kansas
Hoch Auditorium
Lawrence, Kansas